Like Cardi-B said, “Coronavirus this $#%& is real” It’s more real for some than others. So if you find yourself in a mandatory or voluntary quarantined situation you may be in need of a workout to remain sharp during this time.
As is the case in many different places around the U.S. and the World, finding a park to conduct any kind of a workout is getting difficult. Officials are shutting down park access left and right. With that in mind, I have put together this workout with the though that all of you have is a small area of grass or turf to work with. I am going on the assumption that you have an area that is about 20 yards by 20 yards to work with. Even with that small of an area, you can enhance your skills in certain movements that will benefit you greatly when the time comes to get back on the field.
Here is your official Coronoavirus DB Drill Workout
Note: The assumption being made here is that you are doing this drills by yourself as you are observing proper social distancing rules. If you are not familiar with the particular drill, click on the link on the drill title to watch a video on it.
(1) W Drill Series x 2 each way
– Emphasize coming out of your breaks efficiently. Place an importance on planting and replacing to get out and driving your eyes to the cones once you plant that back foot.
(2) 4 Cone Drills x 2 each way
– Perform each drill twice. Again, emphasis on two steps out of the break and proper use of your eyes. Imagine looking at the quarterback as you retreat then snapping your eyes to the cone as you drive out of your break. Since you are by yourself, there is no ball being thrown. Double down on emphasis on driving to the man (cone).
(3) 5 Cone – Weave – Plant – Drive x 5 each way
– There are two different drills in the video. Perform both of them a total of 5 times each from the left side and then the right side. Emphasize keeping your footwork tight and your feet underneath you. Stay inside of your circle.
(4) Slide N’ Get Up x 5 each side
– This drill is obviously better with two people because of the reaction part of it but it still has great value when you are doing it by yourself. When you are alone, you will have to use your imagination as you act like the WR is turning up. However, keep your focus on planting the inside foot to open up the hips and getting vertical with your shoulder open not closed.
(5) Kick Slide 100’s
– Since we have a small space to work with, here’s what we will do to compensate. Normally, I would tell you to do these for the length of the field and that would complete the drill. However without a full field to work with, here’s how this will work. You take a 10 yd x 10 yd area. You start in the corner of that area and kick slide at 45 degrees over to one side then back to the other then back once more to the other side. When completed, walk back down to the other corner, wait 30 seconds and repeat. After doing this 10 times, you have done 100 yards worth. That’s a kick slide 100!! Isn’t math fun? Imagine a WR in front of you and your eyes focused on his hip. Also, make sure your stance and body position is right. See video for more.
There it is, that’s your workout. Repeat that with each session. It will keep your zone, off man and press man skills fairly sharp as you ride out this virus and any quarantine situation you may be in.
For any questions or feedback, feel free to reach me via email at: email@example.com – Thank you for being a member.